Australia Day Awards online nomination
Terms and Conditions
Each year Nillumbik Shire Council holds the Nillumbik Australia Day Awards to recognise and honour the high achievements of ordinary individuals and community groups, who do extraordinary things within the Shire.
Members of the community are encouraged to nominate people or community groups that make them proud to be Australian.
- Nillumbik Young Citizen of the Year
- Nillumbik Citizen of the Year
- Nillumbik Senior Citizen of the Year
- Nillumbik Community Group of the Year
- Nillumbik Volunteer of the Year
In choosing the recipients of the Nillumbik Australia Day Awards, regard is given to the nominee’s achievements in the year immediately prior, as well as their past achievements and ongoing contribution to the Nillumbik community.
An individual need only be nominated once to be considered. The number of nominations received per nominee bears no weight in their selection.
The selection criteria are:
- demonstrated excellence in their field
- significant contribution to the Nillumbik community
- an inspirational role model for the Nillumbik community
The selection panel will also give consideration to the following in assessing and comparing nominations against the above criteria:
- degree of difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made
- voluntary work beyond paid employment
- demonstrated excellence
- length of activity or service
- achievements as an individual or as part of a group or organisation
All nominees will be considered for the Nillumbik Citizen of the Year Award.
- Nominees aged 16-30 years will also be considered for the Nillumbik Young Citizen of the Year Award.*
- Nominees aged 60 years and over will also be considered for the Nillumbik Senior Citizen of the Year Award.*
- Nominees must be Australian citizens.
- All nominees must either live, work or volunteer in the Shire.
- Awards will not be granted posthumously.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Previous recipients of the Nillumbik Australia Day Awards in the Shire of Nillumbik are ineligible to receive the same award within a 10 year period.
- Local Councillors, former Councillors, Council staff, state and federal politicians are not eligible.
- Retired politicians will be considered for work undertaken in addition to their official duties.
- Nominations cannot be accepted by Councillors or politicians.
- Council staff cannot nominate relatives.
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
- No weight is given to the number of times a person is nominated.
* Age as at 26 January 2019
Winners in each category will be notified in late December 2018. Winners will be required to keep this information confidential. All winners will be invited to attend the Nillumbik Australia Day Awards ceremony on 26 January 2019 to accept their Award.
Nominate someone special online