Energy efficiency

New homes

While Council endeavours to keep this information up to date, its always worth checking with theVictorian Building Authority  for the latest details on energy efficiency requirements.

The latest change was on 1 May 2011 which means that all new homes must have:

  • 6-Star energy efficient building fabric, PLUS
  • water saving measures such as AAA taps and fittings and a pressure reduction valve, PLUS 
  • either a water tank OR a solar hot water system.

Energy requirements for renovations

If you are intending to renovate or extend your home or re-locate an existing home after 1 May 2011, the design of your extension or renovation will need to take into account the new 6 Star Standard. Minor renovations or mainternance projects and non structural works may not be affected by the new requirements.

More information regarding these new requirements can be obtained from the Victorian Building Authority on 1300 360 380 or visit .

Commercial and public buildings

Energy-efficiency measures also applies to commercial and public buildings. The requirements will apply to all classes of commercial and public buildings. It is important to note that the energy measures also applies to buildings being refurbished, altered or extended, as well as to new buildings.

 Commercial building classes include:

  • Class 5 – commercial office building
  • Class 6 – shop or other retail building
  • Class 7 – car park or wholesale goods facility
  • Class 8 – laboratory or industrial building
  • Class 9 – public building: health care facility, school, assembly building.

Commercial and public buildings must achieve minimum levels of energy-efficiency through performance-based provisions. The measures are designed to reduce the use of artificial heating and cooling, improve the energy performance of lighting, conditioning and ventilation, and reduce energy loss through air leakage.

Provisions include:

  • building fabric – includes requirements for roof, wall and floor insulation, and area and thermal performance of roof lights
  • external glazing – provides a maximum glazing allowance under different circumstances related to climate, orientation of the building, type of glazing and amount of shading
  • building sealing – includes requirements for sealing chimneys and flues, roof lights, external windows and doors, exhaust fans and during construction of roofs, walls and floors
  • requirements apply only in certain circumstances
  • air movement – includes requirements intended to increase natural ventilation and reduce the need for mechanical cooling
  • air-conditioning and ventilating systems – requirements for minimum levels of energy-efficiency for heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment installed
  • artificial lighting and power – requirements limit the illumination density of artificial lighting systems. The maximum limits vary by building type, allowing more lighting for retail spaces, car park entries and health-care examination areas.
  • access for maintenance – requires adequate space and access to facilitate maintenance of equipment.

In order to lodge an application for an energy rating you need to provide the following documents:

  • Floor plan
  • Floor areas
  • Perimeter of house (including external walls and shared walls)
  • Length of internal masonry walls
  • Depth of overhangs (eaves, verandas, pergolas) above windows
  • Cross flow ventilation
  • Whether the main entry door opens directly into a living area
  • Orientation of windows and window location in utility areas
  • Area of skylights
  • Number of chimneys
  • Number of exhaust fans
  • Number of vented down lights.


  • Floor to ceiling wall heights
  • Extent of cathedral ceilings
  • Tilt of roof windows/skylights
  • Roof type, ventilation and roof material (tiled/metal).


  • Shared floors and ceilings
  • Upper floors
  • Height and width of windows
  • Distance between top of window and overhang

Site plan:

  • Distance from and height of adjacent buildings
  • North point.

Other information:

  • Insulation levels and whether the ceiling has foil insulation
  • Floor type(s) and sub floor ventilation
  • Type(s) of floor coverings
  • Type(s) of external wall
  • Type(s) of curtains
  • Extent of external blinds
  • Type(s) of window frames
  • Type(s) of window glazing
  • Whether exhaust fans are sealed or unsealed
  • Whether skylights are ventilated
  • Extent of weather strips to doors and windows
  • Location of house: inner city, rural, coastal/cliff top or suburban.