Apply for a filming permit

If you want to film or take commercial photographs on land owned or managed by Nillumbik Shire Council you will need a permit.

Council land includes:

  • local roads not maintained by VicRoads
  • footpaths and nature strips
  • parks, reserves and playgrounds.

To get a filming permit, you will need to agree to:

  • follow all parking restrictions and local laws
  • avoid disrupting or damaging the site
  • allow the general public to use the public space
  • remove any litter.

If you don't have a permit, you may get a fine.

How to apply for a permit 

Apply online

Step 1.Make sure you have public liability insurance

You will need to provide evidence of current public liability insurance for a minimum of $10 million.

Step 2.Prepare your documents

You will also need to provide:

  • a completed filming permit and location agreement 
  • running sheet
  • details of any pedestrian management, safety or traffic management plans
  • site plans
  • communication (stakeholder notification) plans.

Step 3.Allow for our turnaround time

You will need to submit your application at least 14 days before you want to film or take photographs.

Step 4.Complete the online form

Apply for a filming permit


Description Fee 
Filming application fee $215
Still photography application fee $107
Student or not for profit application fee Free
Use of a Council reserve or facility $753 per day
$377 per half day
Parking $43 per car per day
$86 per truck per day
Low impact permit fee 
(this is in addition to the application fee)
High impact permit fee
(this is in addition to the application fee)

The above fee amounts are correct as of 1 July 2023.

What happens next?

A member of our Community Safety team will be in contact to request further information or advise of the outcome of your permit application.