Gender Equity in the Early Years
Nillumbik Council recognises the important role that early years services play in promoting gender equity and preventing violence against women and children.
This sample policy has been developed by the Early Years team at Council with input from a working group of local early years services and resources from the sector.
The policy can be adopted, adapted or used by early years services to inspire their own service specific policies and work in promoting gender equity. For early years services operating out of Council facilities, encouraging gender equity forms part of their Service Level Agreement with Council.
The policy covers the following strategies:
- Use gender inclusive language in all aspects of our work with children and families and the community
- Deliver an educational program for children that is inclusive of all genders
- Ensure governance and management structures provide leadership in promoting gender equity and in the prevention of violence against women
- Engage with families and communities in ways that promote gender equity and support the prevention of violence against women
- Put in place a process of review and continuous improvement in the area of gender equity