Pension concession

The Municipal Rates Concession offers a discount on council rates up to a yearly maximum for eligible concession card holders.

Who can apply

Concessions are available for people who have:

  • Centrelink - Pensioner Concession Card 
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs - Gold Card (TPI, War Widow, EDA or POW)

Health Care Cards do not entitle ratepayers to a rate rebate.

You can claim a concession on one property only - your principal place of residence.

How much is the rebate?

The rebate provides a 50% deduction on council rates, up to a maximum of $241.00 for the 2020/2021 rating year. 

How to apply

If you have a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (TPI or War Widow):

The concession can be applied by Council.

1. Download the Municipal Rates Concession application form.

2. Return the form to Council, either by:

  • Completing the form electronically (including your signature) and emailing to, or
  • Printing the form and returning the completed and signed form:
    • in person at the Council offices at Civic Drive, Greensborough
    • via post PO Box 476, Greensborough 3088
    • via fax 9433 3777

3. Once we have received your completed and signed application form, we will check your concession card details with Centrelink and apply the concession to your bill.

If you have a Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (EDA or POW):

The concession is applied by the State government, not by Council.

1. Call the Concessions information line on 1800 658 521 (toll free) or visit their website to obtain an application form

2. Complete and sign the form and send it back to the Department of Health and Human Services

3. The Department will check your concession card details with Centrelink and provide the concession as a rebate.

For information about the rebate, contact the Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521 toll free or see the Department of Health and Human services website