Submit a planning permit application

All new planning permit applications are lodged via our online portal.

Please note:

How to apply

Before you begin

Step 1.Do your research

Step 2.Talk to Council first

To minimise delays, speak to our Planning Services team to get assistance and advice to help make sure your application is complete and of a high quality. Use our online services to request a pre-application meeting. This is a free service.

Step 3.Register for online services

Before you lodge a planning permit application, you will need to register for access to Council's online portal.

Please note:

  • Most registrations are approved within one business day.
  • You will only need to register once - you will then have access to lodge future applications and other requests online.

Register for Council's online services

Step 4.Gather supporting documentation

Find out more about preparing your application, and make sure you have all information listed on the permit application checklists.

Step 5.Have your credit card ready

Please note we are unable to accept Diners Club, American Express or Westpac Corporate cards.

Step 6.Proceed to apply 

If you are ready to submit your application, click on the 'Apply online' tab above to continue.

Apply online

If you have already completed your registration for Council’s online services, you can apply and pay for your planning permit application online.

If you are not sure which application type applies to your proposal, it is vital that you speak to a member of our Planning Services team first.

Select the relevant link from the table below.


The fees associated with your application will depend on the type of application and the estimated cost of the development.

Download Council’s schedule of statutory planning fees

Application type:  I want to apply online for a new planning permit to:  Brief description:
01P - Use Change the use of the land Use this type if you require a permit for a liquor license, food and drink premise, medical centre, indoor recreation centre, industry or other land use. Use this type if your proposal does not include any buildings or works that require a planning permit.
02P - Commercial use and buildings and works Change of the use of the land to a commercial use and associated buildings and works Change use of the land to an aged care facility, child care centre, offices, factory, shops etc. The proposal includes buildings and works that require a planning permit.
03P - Multi dwellings Build more than one dwelling on a property This includes apartments, units, townhouses, dual occupancy or a second dwelling. This can also include subdivision of the land into additional lots.
05P - Buildings and works associated with one dwelling on a lot Build a new house, extend a house, build a shed or outbuilding, earthworks, swimming pool, tennis court or dependant person’s unit Do not use this type if you want to build a new house in a Rural Conservation or Green Wedge Zone (see application Type 2 - 07P). Use this type to extend a house or for other buildings or works in the Rural Conservation or Green Wedge Zone.
06P - Commercial buildings and works Buildings and works associated with existing commercial uses Buildings and/or works related to an existing aged care facility, child care centre, offices, shops or other commercial land use.
07P - Use and development - residential Build a new house in a Rural Conservation Zone or Green Wedge Zone Only use this type if your property is within these zones and you are building a new house on vacant land.
10P - Tree/native vegetation removal Remove, destroy or lop tree/s or vegetation An unlimited amount of vegetation can be applied to be removed under this application and an arborist report must be submitted
10FP - Fast track tree removal Fast track tree removal application to remove, destroy or lop no more than 2 trees A maximum of two trees to be removed and unlimited pruning of vegetation where you wish to use Council's arborist to provide the assessment. This type cannot be used if the vegetation to be removed is protected by a Section 173  Agreement on the land. (This is a ‘Miscellaneous Consent’)
14P - Subdivision Subdivide land, boundary re-alignment or consolidation Subdivide land into additional lots, boundary realignment and consolidation of land.
15P - Create/vary/remove an easement Create, vary or remove an easement/s shown on a registered plan of subdivision You will require a Licensed Land Surveyor to prepare your plan.
16P - Create/vary/remove a restriction or right of way Create, vary or remove a restriction or right of way shown on a registered plan of subdivision You will require a Licensed Land Surveyor to prepare your plan.
17P - Signage Put up a sign Display a sign/s in relation to a use carried out on the land (this does not include A-frame signs on Council land).
18P - Home based business Use my home to operate a home based business Check with our Planning Services team whether a permit is required as there are some businesses you can operate at home without a permit.
19P - Amend or end a Section 173 Agreement To amend a Section 173 Agreement that is registered on title Council will need to approve your proposal in principle. Please contact our Planning Services team prior to lodging your application.

What happens next?

After Council receives your application, it will be assigned to a member of the Planning Services team. The assigned Planner will correspond with the person listed as the contact on the application and may request further information. 

Find out more about the assessment process