Request a Section 72 amendment

If you would like to make any major changes to your planning permit, you may need to apply for a Section 72 amendment. 

When you can apply for a Section 72 amendment

Major changes include:

  • changing your permit preamble (which describes what the permit allows)
  • changing the permit conditions
  • making significant changes to endorsed plans
  • changes that cause material detriment to adjoining or nearby properties

Common Section 72 amendments include:

  • addition of a front fence
  • addition of a second storey
  • any major changes to business operational hours or patron numbers
  • alterations to dwellings which have potential amenity impacts to adjoining properties

The decision-making process and appeal rights for a Section 72 amendment generally follow the same process as a new planning permit application. 

Amending a VicSmart permit 

If your original planning permit was issued as a VicSmart permit (your permit number will include a 'VS'), you will need to request an amendment to a VicSmart permit.

How to apply

Before you begin

Step 1.Talk to Council first

Before submitting your application for an amendment, discuss your request with a member of the Planning Services team.

If your planning permit was determined at VCAT, you must contact us first.

Step 2.Prepare your documentation

You will need to include with your request:

  • the planning permit number 
  • a current copy of the Certificate of Title (not more than six months old)
  • a detailed description of the changes and the reason you are requesting them
  • estimated cost of the building and works being proposed (if applicable)
  • a full set of the revised plans or endorsed documents - this includes tree management plans, or landscape plans
    • plans must show all proposed changes clearly marked
    • plans must show all parts of the approved design that haven't changed
  •  any supporting material that may help us assess your application - eg photos, site or house plans

Step 3.Proceed to apply

If you are ready to submit your Section 72 amendment, click on the 'Apply online' tab above to continue.

Apply online

Submit your application

The link that you will use to lodge your amendment will depend on the type of changes you would like to make, and what the original planning permit was issued for.

Use our tool below to determine which link you should use to lodge your amendment.


The fees associated with your application will depend on the nature of the amendment you are requesting.

Download Council’s schedule of statutory planning fees


What happens next?

After your request for a Section 72 amendment has been submitted and the fee paid, a member of the Planning Services team will assess the request.

We may contact you if there is information missing from your application.

A Section 72 amendment follows the same assessment process as an application for a new planning permit. It has the same requirements for advertising and referral. However, the assessment for the application focuses only on the amendment itself and avoids reopening any issues associated with the approved use or development.

After our assessment, we will provide a written response explaining the outcome of your application. If your application is approved, we will also send you the endorsed plans.

You can only proceed with your proposed changes once we have assessed and approved your application.