- Dogs over three months must be registered with Council
- Dogs must be microchipped to be registered. A letter from your vet does not classify for exemption
- An owner of a dog must be at least 18 years old
- A partial refund can be issued if a dog is desexed at 6 months of age or under. A sterilisation certificate is required
- Cats over three months must be registered with Council
- Cats must be microchipped and desexed to be registered. A letter from your vet does not classify for exemption
- Cats exempt from mandatory desexing are those owned by breeders registered with the Feline Control Council, Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc or the Democratic Cat Council Inc.
Once your pet registration is accepted, a certificate of registration and identification tag will be mailed to you
Transfers from another Council
You can transfer your pet registration between Victorian Councils. Proof must be provided of current registration and receipt of payment for the current registration year.
New animal registrations will be charged pro-rata. 9 months remaining is 75% of full fee. 6 months remaining is 50 per cent of full fee. 3 months remaining is 25% of full fee.
For a schedule of animal registration fees, please see Pets and registration.