St Andrews Wayfinding Project
Council is inviting the St Andrews community to contribute to a project to install a series of wayfinding elements that will:
- encourage pedestrian movement
- connect key locations
- and introduce some of the great stories behind today’s St Andrews
The wayfinding elements will incorporate text, imagery and directional information. This project is funded by the Federal Government’s Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program.
Artists and makers EOI open now
We’re seeking expressions of interest from artists, craftspeople, makers or creative teams, for the design, fabrication and installation of the community storytelling markers as the first stage of the St Andrews Wayfinding project.
Submissions close on Sunday 2 May. Download the brief here(PDF, 427KB).
Tell us your favourite location in St Andrews
The first stage of the project is to choose the locations. To kick of this process, we are collating a list of your favourite places in St Andrews and the stories that make those locations special. The focus is the strip roughly between the market site and the Community Centre.
Nominate a favourite location
In the next stage, an artist or craftperson will be commissioned to design the elements in an innovative way that reflects the St Andrews community.
Read about some of the locations in St Andrews and the stories behind them.
St Andrews School House
Map reference I2
Now incorporated into the Community Centre, the original St Andrews schoolhouse was built in 1875 in Smiths Gully, but was relocated in 1882, hauled along Caledonia St by bullock to the current location.
Wadambuk St Andrews Community Centre
Map reference H2
Wadambuk St Andrews Community Centre, which opened in 2014 was designed by renowned architect Geoffrey Burgess, and primarily funded through the community recovery project arm of the bushfire relief fund. The project was driven by community members and sought regular, meaningful input from community regarding design and future management. Wadambuk continues to be run by a volunteer community committee. The need for a refurbished community centre arose from the use of the old school as a relief centre following Black Saturday.
The Mosaic Seat
Map reference D7
The Mosaic seat at St Andrews Market was designed and built by Lasting Memories, a group formed after Black Saturday. The group originally made pieces from their wreckage and had an exhibition. Then they came up with the idea to do a community gift and the seat was born. It depicts Black Saturday and the aftermath and contains many personal treasures and small sculptures of local fauna. Many hours went into the construction of this seat, all of them voluntary. There is a small plaque at one end with the artists’ names and some meaningful words.
Map reference H2
Stringybark Community Nursery, located behind Wadambuk, was established in 2013 on this site, having previously operating from a private, bushfire-affected residence. The nursery provided free, locally indigenous plants for fire affected residents and provided a place for people to learn about propagation. It continues today, with a volunteer base of around 8 people, collecting and preparing seed and growing plants from ground covers to towering eucalypts. These are sold at very low cost. A further aim is to educate community about the importance of growing local plants. In the three years between 2017/20, the nursery distributed 30,000 plants into the environment, and supplied schools, kinders, Landcare and other groups with plants for revegetation projects.
The Men’s Shed
Map reference H2
The Men’s Shed at St. Andrews, situated next to Wadambuk, is a dynamic welcoming place for men to meet, learn new skills and work on projects. The shed is a testament to the potential of community development. Like Wadambuk, it is independent and community-run.
For more information about the St Andrews Wayfinding project, contact:
Richard Holt, Arts Development Officer
Email: email@example.com or via the form below.