Tourism Business Opportunities
Tourist signage plays an important role in providing direction and guidance to visitors to find attractions, services and facilities.
If you would like tourist signage for your tourism business, please read the Tourist Signing Guidelines(PDF, 4MB) . These guidelines explain the types of signs which are permitted and the eligibility criteria.
If you meet the criteria an application form(PDF, 4MB) must be then be completed and returned to Council's Infrastructure team.
To discuss your eligibility contact the Business and Tourism Development Team on 9433 3332 or the Infrastructure team on 9433 3324.
Other types of signage
Nillumbik’s Tourism Partnership
Council has recently re-engaged with one of Victoria’s official regional tourism boards, Yarra Ranges Tourism. Under the structure of Victorian tourism, Nillumbik is considered to be within the “Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges" region.
This new agreement aims to work collaboratively to ensure effective service delivery in tourism and to support the growth of the Shire’s visitor economy.
The areas identified as a priority in 2018/19 are:
1. Visitor services and information delivery in and outside the region including digital and print.
2. Integration and extension of the artisan hills brand messages in the wider Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges marketing program.
3. Development of specific “trails” promoting local visitor experiences and associated businesses in the Nillumbik Shire.
4. Dedicated marketing campaigns and access to other opportunities offered by Visit Victoria.
5. Public relations activities to promote Nillumbik as a destination and its visitor experiences.
6. Assistance in accessing other resources not previously available e.g. government funding, through advocacy and or auspicing.
7. Assistance with event and product development.
8. Support in the development of market research activities and inclusion in any regional research.
9. Access to industry networking and development programs.
Council’s contribution to this program ensures that our destinations, villages, attractions, events and public visitor experiences are promoted as well as providing access to opportunities for businesses to feature specifically.
Yarra Ranges Tourism have numerous opportunities for Nillumbik businesses to partner with them, including the Yarra Valley Touring Map(PDF, 37MB). See the Yarra Ranges website for more information.
If you would like to discuss other ways your business can get involved contact email@example.com or call 9433 3332.
Australian Tourism Data Warehouse
The Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW) is Australia’s national platform for digital tourism information. It is jointly owned and managed by all Australian state/territory government tourism bodies. With more than 40,000 listings, this content is compiled and is electronically accessible by tourism business, wholesalers, retailers and distributors for use in their websites and booking systems.
By creating a FREE listing for your event it will appear on the:
•Visit Victoria website
•Visit Yarra Valley website
•Yarra Ranges Tourism What's On weekly newsletter (sent directly to 45,000 people)
Businesses can create a product listing for a small annual fee. For more information, see the FAQs(PDF, 254KB) and fact sheet(PDF, 247KB) .
Permits and regulations
If you are considering starting up a new business, or are keen to grow and build your existing business, Council's Business Development and Tourism team can offer you advice and assistance with permits and regulations and business development.
To discuss your business proposal or set up a pre-application meeting contact the Business and Tourism team on 9433 3783.
Policies and Plans
Download our Destination Management Plan.(PDF, 2MB)