Accommodation businesses


In Nillumbik, all prescribed accommodation businesses must be registered with Nillumbik Shire Council and follow regulations to help minimise health risks.

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 you must register the place of business (premises) where you provide accommodation.

Prescribed accommodation includes:

  • Residential accommodation
  • Hotels and motels
  • Hostels or student dormitories
  • Farm stays or holiday camps
  • Rooming houses
  • Bed and breakfasts accommodating more than five people
  • Rooming/shared houses accommodating four or more people
  • Guesthouses and boutique hotels

Before you apply to register

Are you starting a new accommodation business or changing an existing accommodation business? To avoid costly mistakes:

Registering your accommodation business 

You must register your place of business (premises) with the local council in which it is located.

Exemptions from registering

You do not require registration if your business operates any of the following:

  • A house under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • A self-contained flat under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • Public hospitals, nursing home or health services establishments (registered)
  • Retirement villages
  • Any house, building or structure to which part four (caravan parks and movable dwellings) of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 applies
  • Premises in which, other than the family of the proprietor, not more than five persons are accommodated and which is not a rooming house
  • Temporary crisis accommodation

Registering a new prescribed accommodation business

Submit your application 

When you are ready, complete your registration using the Application to register a prescribed accommodation business form. 

Submitting your application includes:

After your application is received, an Environmental Health Officer will review the submitted documents. The Officer will then contact you to arrange an appointment to meet onsite and conduct a Risk Assessment. A report will then be issued listing any non-conformances. Following the final inspection, a Certificate of Registration will be issued.

Buying and transferring an existing prescribed accommodation business

If you are purchasing a prescribed accommodation business that has an existing business registration, an application must be made to Council to transfer the registration to the new owner of the business.

Pre-purchase inspection 

We advise arranging a pre-purchase inspection before entering into a contract to purchase an existing food business. A pre-purchase inspection will inform you of any outstanding items or structural requirements placed on the business. A pre-purchase inspection may also help with negotiating the settlement with the existing proprietor. Contact the Environment Health team (9433 3340 or to arrange a pre-purchase inspection.

Transfer of registration 

When settlement of a business purchase is complete, you can start the process of transferring a prescribed accommodation business already registered with Nillumbik Shire by: 

  • Contacting the Environmental Health team on 9433 3340 or to complete an Application to transfer registration of a prescribed accommodation business 
  • Paying of relevant registration fee.
  • Submitting a floorplan of the business, displaying all equipment and sink locations
  • Submitting a proposed list of services to be provided

Renewing your prescribed accommodation business registration

Operators of prescribed accommodation businesses must renew their business registration each year. 

When to renew 

We will send you a renewal application in October/November. If any of your contact or business details have changed you will need to update the information on the form and return it to us by email or post.

You must pay your renewal by the end of December. From 31 December, any accommodation business that fails to pay for their renewal is considered unregistered.  

How to renew

You can pay your renewal fee online via our website

Alternatively you can also visit our Shire Office in Civic Drive, Greensborough to make a payment in person. 

If you need any help with your renewal payment please contact Environmental Health on 9433 3340.


Complaints about accommodation businesses

If you want to make a complaint about an accommodation business in Nillumbik, please contact:

Environmental Health team
Phone: 9433 3340