Accommodation businesses

If you operate a prescribed accommodation business in Victoria, you must be registered under and comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Prescribed accommodation includes:

  • Residential accommodation
  • Hotels and motels
  • Hostels or student dormitories
  • Farm stays or holiday camps
  • Rooming houses
  • Bed and breakfasts accommodating more than five people
  • Rooming/shared houses accommodating four or more people
  • Guesthouses and boutique hotels


Prescribed accommodation business registration, transfer and renewal

Exemptions from registering

You do not require registration if your business operates any of the following:

  • A house under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • A self-contained flat under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • Public hospitals, nursing home or health services establishments (registered)
  • Retirement villages
  • Any house, building or structure to which part four (caravan parks and movable dwellings) of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 applies
  • Premises in which, other than the family of the proprietor, not more than five persons are accommodated and which is not a rooming house
  • Temporary crisis accommodation

Registering a new prescribed accommodation business

Before applying 

If you are a new prescribed accommodation business or an existing prescribed accommodation business wanting to make changes, you must first complete the Business Permit Checklist to determine if any other permits are required.

When starting any new business, it is important to contact Council's Economic Development team to organise a new business meeting, which will include an officer from our Environmental Health, Planning, Building and Economic Development teams.

A new business meeting provides an opportunity to ask questions specific to your business, and will ensure you have a clear understanding of both the structural and health requirements to meet compliance. It is recommended that new business operators attend this meeting prior to signing a lease or purchasing/fitting out a property, to avoid making costly mistakes.

We recommend you speak to a member of the Economic Development team at Council before submitting your application. Call 9433 3111 or email

Submit your application 

When you are ready, complete your registration using the Application to register a prescribed accommodation business form. 

Submitting your application includes:

After your application is received, an Environmental Health Officer will review the submitted documents. The Officer will then contact you to arrange an appointment to meet onsite and conduct a Risk Assessment. A report will then be issued listing any non-conformances. Following the final inspection, a Certificate of Registration will be issued.

Buying and transferring an existing prescribed accommodation business

If you are purchasing a prescribed accommodation business that has an existing business registration, an application must be made to Council to transfer the registration to the new owner of the business.

Pre-purchase inspection 

We advise arranging a pre-purchase inspection before entering into a contract to purchase an existing food business. A pre-purchase inspection will inform you of any outstanding items or structural requirements placed on the business. A pre-purchase inspection may also help with negotiating the settlement with the existing proprietor. Contact the Environment Health team (9433 3340 or to arrange a pre-purchase inspection.

Transfer of registration 

When settlement of a business purchase is complete, you can start the process of transferring a prescribed accommodation business already registered with Nillumbik Shire by: 

  • Contacting the Environmental Health team on 9433 3340 or to complete an Application to transfer registration of a prescribed accommodation business 
  • Paying of relevant registration fee.
  • Submitting a floorplan of the business, displaying all equipment and sink locations
  • Submitting a proposed list of services to be provided

Renewing your prescribed accommodation business registration

Operators of prescribed accommodation businesses must renew their business registration each year. 

When to renew 

We will send you a renewal application in October/November. If any of your contact or business details have changed you will need to update the information on the form and return it to us by email or post.

You must pay your renewal by the end of December. From 31 December, any accommodation business that fails to pay for their renewal is considered unregistered.  

How to renew

You can pay your renewal fee online via our website

Alternatively you can also visit our Shire Office in Civic Drive, Greensborough to make a payment in person. 

If you need any help with your renewal payment please contact Environmental Health on 9433 3340.


Other accommodation business information

Make a complaint about an accommodation business

Should you wish to make a complaint about an accommodation business in Nillumbik, please contact our Environmental Health team on 9433 3340 or at