Other emergencies and contact information
Emergency contact information
Fire, Police, Ambulance - 000 (TTY service 106)
- State Emergency Service (SES) - 132 500 - Storms, Floods, Earthquakes
- Poisons Information Line - 13 11 26
- Nurse-on-Call - 1300 60 60 24
- Victoria Bushfire Information line - 1800 240 667 - updates on current events
Download the VicEmergency app
The VicEmergency app provides information about warnings and incidents within designated watch zones. The VicEmergency app replaced the FireReady app in November 2016.
You can download the app from the Apple App Store for iOS devices, or from the Google Play store for Android devices.
For information about the app, see the VicEmergency website.
The VicEmergency website is the primary site for fire and flood warnings. It shows emergency incidents in Victoria on a real-time Google Map display
Tune in to Plenty Valley 88.6FM or ABC 774 radio
A heatwave is when temperatures rise much higher than normal for several days in a row. Heatwaves can impact human health and can affect community infrastructure, such as power supply and public transport, and services.
Heatwaves can cause illnesses such as cramps, exhaustion and heat stroke which may be fatal.
In a heatwave:
- Keep out of the heat - look for shade and wear a hat
- Drink lots of water
- Naturally cool your home, close windows and blinds in the day
- Talk to your health service if you have health issues
- Check on people who may struggle in the heat
- Help people who are feeling unwell
Floods and storms
Floods are among the most frequent and costly natural disasters. Flash flooding is most likely to occur between December and February.
For general information about planning and preparing for floods or storms, see:
For flood information that is specific to the Nillumbik Shire Council area, see:
Kinglake Ranges Neighbourhood house
Have produced a DVD “When the Fires Come”. It gives first hand accounts of what being in a bushfire is really like and why being prepared is so important. Watch the video on YouTube here.