Burning off - when can I?

Published on 01 May 2019

burning off

The CFA has declared the Fire Danger Period is officially over (from May 1) and this means you can now burn off as long as it complies with a number of rules, including Nillumbik Shire Council’s local laws.

Any kind of burning off is banned during the fire danger period – (unless in exceptional circumstances).

It’s good to reduce the level of fine fuels around your house and property. It increases the likelihood your property will survive a potentially devastating bush fire.

But lighting any open air fire is dangerous and there are strict rules about when you are legally allowed to burn off and whether or not you will require a permit.

You’ll need to apply for a free permit to burn off:

  • if your property is less than 0.4 hectares (1 acre). But you can only do this to reduce fuel from 1 October to the start of the Fire Danger Period which is commonly declared in November or December.
  • you can apply for a permit by calling Council on 9433 3111. All permits are free and can be posted or emailed to you.

You may need a permit:

  • If you wish to burn off a large heap, a pile that occupies an area greater than 10 square metres or over 25 cubic metres in volume, then you may require a permit. Phone Council’s Regulatory Services Unit on 9433 3111 to check

You won’t need a permit:

  • to burn off if your property is 0.4 hectares (1 acre) or larger, but you can only do so outside the declared Fire Danger Period. So now is fine.

Banned all year round:

  • All incinerators
  • Any burning off in smog
  • Any burning off on total fire ban days

There are other rules – check out our link for advice and the amount you can be fined for doing the wrong thing. https://www.nillumbik.vic.gov.au/Living-in/Fire-and-other-emergencies/Burning-off.-The-Fire-Danger-Period-permits-and-safety  You can also phone us on 9433 3111 or email us at emmatters@nillumbik.vic.gov.au.


Tagged as: