Host Farm expression of interest
Open your gates in 2019 to showcase farming on the fringe
Whether it is alpacas, cows, vineyards, olives, horses or orchards, there's always a lot to see and experience on Open Farm Day. A fun, family day out it is an opportunity for the community to actively engage with farmers and learn about farming practices and the stages of food and produce production.
The next Open Farm Day is Sunday 7 April 2019 and showcases the importance of the Green Wedge as both a food source and the "lungs of Melbourne".
Open Farm Day
- Showcases farming on the fringe to urban residents from Nillumbik, Whittlesea and beyond
- Increases support for local products
- Raises awareness of farming practices within the region
- Demonstrates the stages of food and produce production
- Demonstrates that maintaining and enhancing local biodiversity is a key component of productive farming
- Increases appreciation and understanding of the Green Wedge
In 2017, over 5,500 people took the opportunity visit the 19 "open farms" to experience farm tours, animal and produce demonstrations, product tastings and to purchase a range of quality farm products.
Farms located in the Shire of Nillumbik, City of Whittlesea and the Kinglake Ranges are invited to submit an Expression of Interest to take part in the 2019 event and open their gates to the public. There is no cost to register your interest in Open Farm Day. Only a limited number of farms can be involved in this event, with selection being based on the diversity of experience offered and the capacity of the farms to host visitors.
Apply to be a host farm
To participate in Open Farm Day 2019, complete the online form 14 December 2018.
If your application is successful you will be contacted during January 2019. We will then assist you to get your farm ready
Contact Nillumbik Shire Council on 9433 3205 or Tanaya Preece at the City of Whittlesea on 9217 2549