Commonwealth Home Support Programme


Important changes to Commonwealth Home Support Programme

CHSP in-home services have been managed by Nillumbik Shire Council who have contracted mecwacare as the direct service provider. From 1 July 2020, mecwacare will directly manage and deliver in-home services.

Please click here(PDF, 415KB) to view frequently asked questions about Commonwealth Home Support Programme.

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) provides funding for a broad range of entry-level support services to assist older people aged 65 years and over (50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) who have functional limitations (including cognitive), to remain living independently at home and in their community.

CHSP services are delivered on a needs basis, with a strong focus on activities that support independence and social connections and take into account each person’s individual goals, preferences and choices.

Social Support Group assists older people to participate in the community life and feel socially included through structured, group-based activities that develop, maintain and support independent living and social interactions. Phone 03 9433 3138 or

Transport provides an affordable door-to-door transport service for people who are elderly, people with a disability or their carers to access the community. See the transport page for details. Phone 03 9433 3723,



Referrals must be made through the My Aged Care contact centre. To make a referral contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or

My Aged Care

My Aged Care helps you find the information you need about aged care services

This can be as simple as calling the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website.

My Aged Care provides you with information about

  • Different types of aged care services
  • Eligibility for services

The contact centre staff will ask questions to determine your needs.  A referral will then be sent to either the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) or to the Regional Assessment Service (RAS)

You will then be contacted to make a time for a trained Home Support Assessor to visit with you to discuss your needs and the services you require

Costs for Services

Services are funded by Council and Commonwealth Governments. Fees for services are means tested and are discussed once a referral has been made.

To view these prices please click here(PDF, 208KB)