Apply for preschool
When to apply
Applications open on the first business day in March each year, two years before children are eligible to attend four-year-old preschool.
Applications must be submitted no later than 30 June in the year before attendance to be included in the first round offer process. The date of application is not applied during the offer process.
To register for three-year-old preschool contact the Preschool directly, Council does not centrally register children in three-year-old preschool. A child who attends a three-year-old preschool program will not automatically be enrolled or guaranteed a place at the same preschool in the four year old program.
Read the Priority of Access and Offer Policy Guidelines(PDF, 593KB) for detailed for information about the application and offer process, the No Jab No Play legislation, how priority of access ratings are determined, the roles of families, Council and preschools during the process.
Have a copy of the child’s birth extract or passport or other proof of age document.
Based on the child's priority of access rating, have necessary copies of documentation required to attach to the application:
- supporting documentation if applying for a child with additional needs, child protection status or out-of-home care
- current and appropriate concession card or visa if applying for a concession or as an asylum seeker or refugee
- proof or residency or ratepayer of Nillumbik such as a rates notice, lease agreement, contract of sale, driver licence or utility bill
- proof of a connection to Nillumbik if you are not a resident or ratepayer such as documentation from:
- a child care provider confirming attendance at the centre or in the absence of this, a certified statutory declaration from an unpaid child care provider who resides within Nillumbik
- a letter from an educational or employer if the parent/guardian words or studies in Nillumbik
- proof that the child attends a three-year-old program at the preschool (receipt of fees paid or a letter from the preschool)
- proof that an older sibling attended the preschool within five years of the child's intended attendance year
No Jab, No Play Legislation
Once a place has been allocated by Council, families will be contacted by the preschool to formalise enrolment. Families must provide evidence that their child is:
- fully immunised for their age OR
- on a vaccination catch-up program OR
- unable to be fully immunised for medical reasons
An Immunisation History Statement can be requested from the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) on 1800 653 809, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at a Medicare or Centrelink office.
For more information about immunisation contact the Department of Health, Immunisation Team/Nurse on 1300 882 008.
How to apply
Online - Prepare electronic copies of supporting documentation.
Complete the online application form and pay the application fee with a valid Visa or MasterCard
In person - Download the application form(PDF, 201KB) or pick up a hard copy from Council.
Attach supporting documentation and bring to Council at Civic Centre, Civic Drive, Greensborough and pay the application fee with cash, eftpos, cheque or credit card.
By mail - Download the application form(PDF, 201KB)
Attach supporting documentation and post to Customer Service, Nillumbik Shire Council, PO Box 476, Greensborough, 3088. Include the application fee as a cheque or money order made payable to Nillumbik Shire Council.
The application fee payment is a non-refundable application fee of $36.00* or Health Care/Concession Card holders fee of $18.00**
* only one application fee is required for families enrolling multiple-birth children (application forms must be provided for each child)
** a copy of a valid health care or concession card must be provided with the application
Nominating preschool preferences
You can nominate up to three preschool preferences which you would accept a place if offered to you. It is important to nominate more than one preschool to maximise your chance of your child being offered a place at a preschool of your choice. Preferences can be changed up until 30 June in the year before your child is due to attend four year old preschool without affecting the offer process. To change your preschool preference email email@example.com After 30 June, changes to preferences will be considered a late application and will be given equal opportunity to positions during the second and third round of offers.
Applying for a preschool outside Nillumbik
Nillumbik is bordered by Banyule, Manningham and Whittlesea. If you live close to the municipal boundary you can apply for preschools within multiple councils. Applications need to be made directly to the relevant council.
Banyule City Council 9457 9954
City of Whittlesea 9404 8876
Manningham does not have a central registration system. Contact your preferred preschool in Manningham directly
After you apply
After receiving a complete application form with supporting documentation and payment, the child’s details will be entered into Council's Central Registration system. A confirmation letter or email will be sent confirming registration details. If you don't receive this letter within ten business days of applying, contact us on 9433 3161 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
In April, before the offer process commences for the following attendance year, Council will conduct a review of all four-year-old preschool registrations in the system. An Audit Letter and Audit Form will be sent to all registered families, requesting contact details and preferences are checked to ensure Council has accurate information in the system before the offer process begins in July. Families can opt to change preschool preferences, defer or cancel the child's registration. If no changes are required, families do not need to respond.
Refer the Allocation of preschool places page for information about the offer process and key dates prior to year of attendance