Planning permits, do I need one?

The Planning Services Unit implements and enforces the statutory planning responsibilities of the Nillumbik Planning Scheme.

This includes land uses, dwellings, buildings and works, vegetation protection and subdivision.

Before you take any action that may require planning approval, please ensure you have read and or completed the following:  

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) information

DELWP's planning applications: learn how to apply takes you through the planning process

DELWP's Planning: A Short Guide outlines the most common processes including applying for and objecting to a planning permit

     Planning: A Short guide(PDF, 531KB)

     Planning: A Short guide (accessible)(DOC, 62KB)

The State Government Planning Schemes webpage has the Nillumbik Planning Scheme which includes zoning and overlay maps and links to scheme amendments and the Victoria Planning Provisions.

Also see the DELWP website and the VicSmart website - a simpler planning permit process


Planning maps online

VicPlan are interactive maps which allow you to generate a Planning Report for your property.


Viewing files at Council

Due to COVID-19 the Customer Service desk in Greensborough is closed.

To request to view a planning file electronically, please contact Planning Services on 9433 3343 to arrange.


Status of applications and applications being advertised

See planning applications  to view status.

Details are automatically updated when applications are lodged on our system, the status is changed or a decision is made.

Search by date, address, title details or application number.

See applications being advertised to view applications with an advertising status in our system.

Applications are shown when the status is changed to an advertising status, and removed when the status is no longer for advertising.

This is additional to statutory requirements and occasionally there may be errors if the status in our system is not correctly shown.


Appeals and VCAT

See Appeals and VCAT  for information on the appeals process.