I want to lodge a VicSmart application

Are you ready to lodge and pay for your application and have already registered?

Before you lodge an application, you will need to register your details on Council's portal. Please note, you need to select applicant as your customer typeWe should approve your registration within one business day. You will only need to register once. You will then have access to lodge any future applications and other requests online.

VicSmart is a fast tracked process for simple planning permit applications, but only applies to particular types of applications. The application types, outlined below, are determined and set by the Victorian Government and are the same across all 79 Councils in Victoria.

To minimise delays, it is important that you confirm your application does qualify as a VicSmart before you apply. If it is lodged under VicSmart, but does not qualify, there may be an additional fee to be paid, and there may be time delays in lodging and assessing your application.

If you are unsure, contact Planning Services on 9433 3343 and we are available to help you determine if your application qualifies as a VicSmart or not.

To be classed as a VicSmart application a proposal must be one of the stated application types, must meet all the criteria and be located in the specified zone or overlay. 

If you lodge an application as a VicSmart, Planning Services will review your application to ensure it qualifies.  

For more information visit: www.planning.vic.gov.au/vicsmart 


Application type:  I want to apply online for a VicSmart application to:   Brief description: 
11AVS - VicSmart amendment Amend an existing VicSmart permit

Change the conditions or plans of an existing VicSmart permit.
Change plans of an existing permit which meet VicSmart criteria

VS02 - Remove, destroy or lop a tree Remove, destroy or lop one tree

To be used when you will provide a report from a qualified arborist  

VSFP - Fast track tree VicSmart application Remove, destroy or lop one tree To be used where you wish to use Council's arborist to provide the assessment 
VS01 - Build a fence Build a new fence in an overlay A permit is required under a zone or the Environmental Significance Overlay, Significant Landscape Overlay or Design and Development Overlay
VS03 -  Commercial/industrial buildings and works Carry out buildings or works within an Industrial, Commercial or Activity Centre Zone The cost of the buildings or works are up to $1M in an Industrial Zone and $500,000 in a Commercial or Activity Centre Zone. Certain criteria must be met
VS04 - Heritage Overlay Carry out minor buildings and works in a heritage overlay Buildings and works which are identified as VicSmart under the heritage overlay
VS05 - Special Building Overlay Carry out buildings and works in a Special Building Overlay Provide Melbourne Water consent and endorsed plans with your application
VS06 - Signage Put up a sign Display a sign in a Commercial, Industrial or Activity Centre Zone. Certain criteria must be met
VS07 - Subdivision  Subdivide land Subdivide land into lots each containing an existing building or subdivide land with an approved development into two lots. For rural land each lot must meet the minimum lot size
VS08 - Re-align the boundary Realign the boundary Realign a boundary between two lots where the area of either lot is reduced by less than 15 percent and the general direction of the common boundary does not change. For rural land each lot must meet the minimum lot size
VS09 - Car parking reduction  Reduce car parking requirements Reduce a car parking requirement by no more than 10 car parking spaces
VS10 - Buildings and works in an Overlay Build a carport, garage, pergola, verandah, deck, shed, rainwater tank, pool or similar structure The buildings or works must be associated with a dwelling.  The land will be in an Environmental Significance Overlay, Significant Landscape Overlay or Design and Development Overlay. Certain criteria must be met
VS11 - Buildings and works in a zone To do buildings and works in a zone Construct buildings and/or works in a Rural Conservation Zone or Green Wedge Zone with a cost of up to $250,000 which meet certain criteria or minor buildings and works in other zones which meet certain criteria