Report a barking dog

Before you make a complaint about a barking dog, talk to the owner of the dog. If you can't resolve the issue, you can report it to Nillumbik Shire Council.

To be considered a nuisance, barking must:

  • be persistent over time, and
  • unreasonably disturb your usual activities.  

How to report


Step 1.Talk to the dog owner

Make sure you have talked to the owner of the dog about the problem. They may not even be aware of the problem and it gives them a chance to fix it. 

Step 2.Let us know

If the issue is not resolved, report the barking dog to Council by calling 03 9433 3111 or emailing Please include your name, address and contact details so that a member of our team can contact you.

Step 3.Council reviews the report

A council officer will review the complaint. If Council determines that the barking is causing an unreasonable disturbance, we will issue a formal notice to the dog's owner. If the problem persists, Council may proceed with legal action.