Cancel a food business registration

The Food Act 1984 requires all businesses that handle, prepare, package, store, serve, supply and repackage food to be registered with their local council.

If you have sold your business, or stopped trading, you will need to cancel your food business registration.

From 1 July 2021, it's no longer possible to transfer a food business registration. Instead, the original owner of the business will need to cancel their registration, and the new owner will apply for a new food business registration.

How to cancel


Step 1.Have your details ready

To complete the online form you will need to provide:

  • Your details and the business details
  • Your bank account details, if you would like to apply for a refund
  • The new business owner details, if you have sold the business

Step 2.Complete the online form

Please note that this information is intended for those wishing to cancel their current food business registration. Not what you were looking for? You may be interested in: