Council believes that every member of our community has the potential to be a leader and make a positive impact. That's why we're excited to introduce our new Community Leadership Program - Nillumbik Leaders - designed to inspire, support, and upskill Nillumbik community members to become effective leaders.
About the program
Nillumbik Leaders focuses on developing individuals' leadership skills, fostering community engagement, promoting diversity and inclusivity, and establishing a robust network of leaders and stakeholders within the community.
The program will be delivered from August to December 2023, over nine fortnightly sessions at Hurstbridge Community Hub on Wednesday evenings from 6-9pm.
A light meal will be provided at the start of each session as an opportunity to network and build relationships.
The program will cover:
- Leadership: exploring the concept and different styles of leadership
- Breaking Barriers to Inclusive Leadership: understanding barriers to participation and strategies to break down barriers
- Understanding Local Government: learn about in the inner workings of local government
- Collective Action and Advocacy: learn to harness your experiences and cultivate key messages from your stories, so that you can be heard
- Communicate with Confidence: networking, presenting, public speaking and conflict resolution
- Ideas to Action: project planning, working with local assets, project implementation and evaluation
- Reflect, Learn and Grow: discover ways to continue on the leadership journey
Download 2023 program(PDF, 223KB) to see the exciting list of key speakers who will guide you on your leadership journey!
Nillumbik Leaders aims to represent Nillumbik’s diversity and is inclusive of all genders, age groups, abilities, Aboriginality, cultures, language backgrounds, sexual orientation, education and employment status. The recruitment of participants will aim to reflect diversity in Nillumbik.
The program is open for anyone who lives, works, volunteers, studies or plays in Nillumbik aged 18 or over who:
- Can commit to attending all the workshops
- Has an interest in developing their community leadership skills
- Is motivated to participate and engage in community life
- Has a desire to use their skills to make a difference and enhance the Nillumbik community
- Is a new or emerging leader interested in developing their leadership skills
For more information download our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)(PDF, 666KB)
The program will run fortnightly on Wednesday evenings 6-9pm.
|Session 1 - Welcome
||16 August 2023
|Session 2 - Leadership starts with you!
||30 August 2023
|Session 3 - Access, diversity and inclusion
||13 September 2023
|Session 4 - Understanding Council and community
||27 September 2023
|Session 5 - Collective action and advocacy
||11 October 2023
|Session 6 - Communicate with confidence
||25 October 2023
|Session 7 - Ideas to action
||8 November 2023
|Session 8 - Reflect, learn and grow
||22 November 2023
|Session 9 - Graduation
||6 December 2023