Swimming pools and spas


A building permit is required if you are constructing or installing a swimming pool or spa that is capable of holding more than 300mm of water.

A building permit is not required for general maintenance to an existing pool/spa safety barrier, provided the maintenance is carried out using materials commonly used for the same purpose as the material being replaced, and will not adversely affect the safety of the public or occupiers of the building. 

Swimming pool and spa owners have a legal obligation to ensure that they maintain the effective operation of swimming pool and spa safety barriers. Gates and doors must remain closed except when entering the pool or spa. 

For more information about pool and spa safety barriers, please see the Victorian Building Authority website.

Pool and spa registrations and inspections

The Victorian state government has introduced new legislation to ensure that pools and spas are as safe as possible for everyone. 

If you own a pool or spa, you are required to:

  1. Register your pool/spa with Council
  2. Arrange to have your pool/spa barriers inspected
  3. Lodge your Certificate of Barrier Compliance with Council

More information about each of these steps can be found below.