Drainage and stormwater

Photo of water rushing into a stormwater drain on the curb of a street

Who is responsible?

Stormwater drains Nillumbik are owned by property owners, Melbourne Water and Council.

Property owners

Property owners are responsible for all stormwater drainage within their property, to the point where it connects into the Council-managed drain (this is the legal point of discharge). This includes the section of drains from their property to the legal point of discharge.

Where the Council drain is in the street, some of the private drainage pipes will sit outside of the property boundary.

Property owners are also responsible for drainage issues originating on their property that may impact neighbouring properties.


Council manages a large network of underground drains and unconstructed drainage. This drainage may exist within Council road reserves, Council land and on private land with a drainage easement. Council are responsible for pipes and pits located within drainage easements or road reserves, as well as roadside drainage such as the kerb and channel or open table drains. This excludes house connections within the road reserve.

Council's drainage network feeds into Melbourne Water's drainage network.

Melbourne Water

The drainage network that is the responsibility of Melbourne Water includes large-scale pipes and pits, streams, creeks, rivers and other large-scale stormwater infrastructure.

Yarra Valley Water

Sewers, sewerage/wastewater, water supply and water mains are the responsibility of Yarra Valley Water.


Stormwater drain maintenance

The existing drainage infrastructure in Nillumbik is regularly repaired and cleaned by our Roads and Drains Maintenance team.

Activities include:

  • Inspecting roadside drainage pits annually to determine cleaning requirements
  • Removing litter, debris, silt and other foreign matter from drains which could cause flooding and potential damage to property or persons
  • Reactively maintaining easement pits
  • Replacing hazardous damaged or missing pit lids as soon as they are identified or reported 


Works within road reserve and easements

A permit is required to perform any works in a Council managed road reserve (the public land outside the private property boundary) or Council drainage easements. 

These works may include connecting stormwater drainage to the Council-owned drainage system. 

If you are planning to do any building or drainage works in the road reserve or near a drainage easement, you may need to request infrastructure information (legal point of discharge), and/or apply for an infrastructure works permit. For more information, see Working in the road reserve.


Report a drainage issue

Who you report a drainage issue to depends on the nature of the issue.

Who to contact

Issue Who to contact
Blocked or broken Council drain (drainage outside the property boundary, including kerb and channel, drainage pits etc) Contact Council - see below
Damaged or broken pit lid Contact Council - see below
Blocked or leaking private drain (drainage on your property up to and including the legal point of discharge) Contact a plumber
Burst water mains, sewerage or issues with water supply Contact Yarra Valley Water on 132 762
Water coming onto your land from a neighbour's property Property owners are responsible for their own drainage. Speak with your neighbour to find a solution or contact Dispute Settlement Centre Victoria
Other service assets Report to the authority who owns the asset (this should be written on it) - eg TelstraAusnet or Yarra Valley Water

Report a drainage issue to Council 

You can report a blocked or damaged drain, or a missing drain pit lid, by submitting a service request through our online portal.

Report a drainage issue