Owning a cat

Photo of a grey cat lying on a bed


If you own a cat in Nillumbik, you will need to meet a number of state and local government requirements. These requirements help:

  • keep your cat safe
  • prevent your cat from being a nuisance to the community
  • protect local wildlife.

To find out more about being a responsible cat owner, you can also:


Register your cat

Every cat that is three months of age or older must be registered with Nillumbik Shire Council. This is a legal requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. If you do not register your cat, you may get a fine.

Before registering, your cat also needs to be microchipped and desexed. Talk to your vet or visit Animal Welfare Victoria for more information about: 

Register your cat


Get a permit for multiple cats

If you want to have more than two cats (three months of age or older) at your property you will need to apply to Council for a permit.

Apply for a permit to keep more than two cats


Confine your cat at night

In Nillumbik we have a cat curfew between 7:30pm and 6am.

This means you need to keep your cat indoors or confined to your property between 7.30pm and 6am.

If you don't confine your cat to your property during these hours, you may get a fine or your cat might be impounded by Council.