Apply for a permit to live in a caravan

If you want to live in a caravan on private property you may need a permit from Nillumbik Shire Council.

You will need a permit to occupy a caravan, camper trailer or any other movable dwelling on private land for more than 30 consecutive days.

If you don't have a permit, you may get a fine. 

Situations where you don’t need a permit

You don't need a permit if you are:

  • in a registered camping area or caravan park 
  • selling, hiring or leasing a caravan, as long as it is removed when sold, hired or leased
  • in an area where caravans are already permitted under the Nillumbik Planning Scheme.

You also don’t need a separate permit to live in a caravan if it is already included in a planning permit.

Permit conditions

If an annual permit is granted, you must make sure to observe all conditions as set out in the Nillumbik General Local Law 1, including:

  • the occupation of the caravan, camper trailer, moving dwelling, vehicle or other temporary structure is greater than 30 consecutive days
  • toilet, sanitary and other facilities are required (all waste to be disposed of to an approved sewer or septic tank system).

How to apply

Apply online

Step 1.Let your neighbours know

You will need to let your neighbours know that:

  • you intend to occupy a caravan on the property
  • they can make a written submission or comment on the proposal within 14 days by emailing

On the application form, you will need to provide each of your neighbours' names, addresses and phone numbers, and sign a declaration stating that you have notified them. 

Step 2.Allow for our turnaround time

You will need to submit your application at least 14 days before the date you want to live in a caravan. 

Step 3.Submit the online form

Apply for a permit to live in a caravan


The application fee for a permit to occupy a caravan is $110. This amount is correct as of 1 July 2023. 

Criteria for issuing permits

To find out more about the criteria that Council uses to make a decision about this permit, read the Nillumbik General Local Law 1 Procedure and Protocol Manual.