If you want to live in a caravan on private property you may need a permit from Nillumbik Shire Council.
If you don't have a permit, you may get a fine.
Situations where you don’t need a permit
You don't need a permit if you are:
- in a registered camping area or caravan park
- using a caravan for storage
- selling, hiring or leasing a caravan, as long as it is removed when sold, hired or leased
- in an area where caravans are already permitted under the Nillumbik Planning Scheme.
You also don’t need a separate permit to live in a caravan if it is already included in a planning permit.
If a permit is granted, you must make sure to observe all conditions as set out in the Amenity Local Law(PDF, 616KB), including:
- the maximum period that is allowed is six months
- toilet, sanitary and other facilities are require (all waste to be disposed of to an approved sewer or septic tank system)
How to apply
Criteria for issuing permits
To find out more about the criteria that Council uses to make a decision about this permit, see our Amenity Local Law Administrative Policy Guidelines(PDF, 751KB).