Apply for a permit to use a motorised recreational vehicle

Any person using a recreational vehicle on private land under two hectares will need to apply for a permit.

Recreational vehicles include:

  • dirt bikes
  • quad bikes
  • 'pee wees'
  • mini-bikes
  • go karts
  • any other vehicle propelled by a motor that's used for recreational purposes

They do not include:

  • vehicles engaged in legitimate farming activities
  • motorised wheelchairs
  • motor-assisted bicycles with a motor less than 200w

When you need a permit

  • If you are using a recreational vehicle on land under two hectares
  • If you are using a recreational vehicle on land that does not include a dwelling, regardless of size
  • If you are using more than two recreational vehicles at any one time on any land, regardless of size

Permit conditions

The following conditions apply:

  • The vehicle/s can only be used between the hours of 7.00am and 8.00pm Monday to Friday, and 9.00am and 8.00pm weekends and public holidays.
  • No more than two recreational vehicles can be used at any one time without a permit.
  • The use of any motorised toy vehicle must not create any dust which detrimentally affects neighbouring properties.
  • The vehicle/s must not be used on any of the following days:
    • Total Fire Ban
    • Severe, Extreme and Code Red Days
    • Smog alert days

How to apply

Apply online

Step 1.Prepare your application

As part of the online application you will need to provide:

  • The type, make, model, serial/engine number of each vehicle, and whether or not a silencer has been fitted
  • The preferred days and times you intend to use the vehicle(s)
  • A drawing or sketch showing the area of the property to be utilised by the vehicle(s), in relation to your neighbour's dwellings
  • If you are not the property owner: a declaration to state that you have approval from the property owner, and the property owner's contact details.

Step 2.Allow for our turnaround time

You will need to submit your application at least 14 days before the date you want to use the vehicle(s). 


The application fee for a permit to use a motorised toy vehicle is $112. This amount is correct as of 1 July 2023.

After your permit application is received, an invoice will be generated and emailed to you. This email will contain instructions on how to pay.

What happens next?

After your permit application is received, Council will contact, in writing, any properties affected by your application.

Property owners who may be affected have 14 days to make a submission or comment. Any submissions received may affect the conditions placed on the permit, or the outcome of it being granted.

An invoice will be generated and emailed to you which contains instructions on how to pay the permit application fee.

Criteria for issuing permits

To find out more about the criteria that Council uses to make a decision about this permit, see our Nillumbik General Local Law 1, Procedure and Protocol Manual.(PDF, 2MB)