If you own pets or farm animals (other than a dog or cat) in Nillumbik, you will need to meet some state and local government requirements. These requirements help:
- keep your animals safe
- prevent your animals from being a nuisance to the community
- ensure public safety.
To find out about the requirements for dogs and cats, see:
There are limits on the number and types of pets and farm animals you can keep on your property without a livestock permit.
| Animal type
|| 5 or less
|| 5 or less
|| 10 or less
|| 25 or less
|| 24 or less
You will need to apply to Council for a permit to keep livestock if you want to keep:
- more than the allowed number of that animal type
- a different type of pet or farm animal
You will also need to apply to Council for a livestock permit to keep pets or farm animals if your property is:
- less than 4,000 square metres in area, or
- zoned residential
You are legally required to keep your pets and farm animals confined to your property. This means your property must have:
- a closed gate that your animals cannot jump, get under or through
- an escape-proof fence that your animals cannot jump, get under or through.
If you don't confine your animals, you may get a fine or your animals could be impounded.