Living & Learning Neighbourhood House Advisory Committee
Purpose and objectives
The Living & Learning Nillumbik (L&LN) Neighbourhood House Advisory committee has been established to provide a mechanism by which community representatives from Eltham, Diamond Creek and Panton Hill can discuss and advice on Neighbourhood House offerings, opportunities and challenges.
The Committee supports the three L&LN Neighbourhood Houses in being responsive to the needs of their local communities and providing a range of suitable and appropriate activities, programs and events to enhance social connectedness and lifelong learning opportunities for participants and volunteers.
The Committee’s objectives are to:
- Consult with and represent the voice and interests of Nillumbik residents regarding the Neighbourhood Houses
- Provide a forum to discuss, facilitate and support local initiatives and collaborations (where possible) that aim to promote lifelong learning and social connection across Nillumbik
- Act as Ambassadors for L&LN by actively promoting news, events, activities and issues relating to Neighbourhood House programs and events
- Provide input, feedback and advice to Neighbourhood Houses Victoria, the North Eastern Neighbourhood House Network and Council on community needs and community development opportunities
- Consider and provide advice to Council on its policies, plans and services that impact neighbourhood house activities and Neighbourhood House Coordination Program (NHCP) funding obligations
- Consider and provide advice on key Government initiatives, programs and reviews
- Represent the views and needs of Neighbourhood house participants within Nillumbik
- Assist Council to communicate, consult and engage more effectively with the broader Nillumbik community
- Strengthen partnerships with residents, community groups and services in Nillumbik
- Contribute to a cycle of continually assessing and improving Nillumbik’s Neighbourhood houses
- Respond to and provide input and feedback on proposed strategies, policies or action plans developed by Council and/or L&LN
- Support the L&LN team to review programs and implement continuous improvement strategies
Monthly meetings, which consist of:
- Bi-monthly daytime meetings. These meetings have a strategic focus with all members present.
- Bi-monthly House meetings are held on a day determined by the committee members representing the individual houses. These meetings have a community representation focus.
A new committee is currently being recruited and appointed. The committee term will be two years.
The Committee comprises if the following representatives endorsed by Council:
- Cr. Cr Frances Eyre
- Cr Richard Stockman
- Deborah Donehue (Panton Hill Neighbourhood House)
- Sarah Doherty (Diamond Creek Neighbourhood House)
- Bambi McLean (Diamond Creek Neighbourhood House)
- Frank Filardo (Eltham Neighbourhood House)
- Sabi Bueler (Diamond Creek Neighbourhood House)
- Deanna Finn (Panton Hill Neighbourhood House)
Expression of Interest
Nillumbik Shire Council is seeking expressions of interest from local people to join our Living & Learning Nillumbik (L&LN) Neighbourhood House Advisory Committee for a two-year term.
The committee meets on the third Monday afternoon of each month (January and December excluded) to provide a mechanism by which community representatives from Eltham, Diamond Creek and Panton Hill can discuss and advise on Neighbourhood House offerings, opportunities and challenges related to:
- Social Connection
- Community Development
- Lifelong Learning
Detail on the committee objectives, membership, the role of committee members and more is provided in the L&LN Neighbourhood House Advisory Committee Terms of Reference.(PDF, 497KB)
If you have relevant expertise or experience, a good understanding of local issues that relate to these matters, and a willingness to contribute collaboratively and constructively we encourage you reach out to one of our Neighbourhood House Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9433 3744.
The Agenda for the next Committee meeting is uploaded one week prior to the meeting date.
Minutes from each Committee meeting are confirmed at the next meeting of the Committee.