Valuations for rates


Each year, the Valuer-General Victoria provides Nillumbik Shire Council with a valuation of your property. This valuation is used by Council to calculate your rates.

There are three valuations shown on your rate notice:

  • Site Value (SV): the value of your land only, without improvements (such as buildings)
  • Capital Improved Value (CIV): the assessed market value of your property including both land (SV) and all improvements (such as buildings)
  • Net Annual Value (NAV): a minimum of 5 per cent of CIV (higher for some non-residential properties).

Nillumbik Council uses your property's CIV to calculate your rates.

More information

Objecting to a valuation

Rating and Valuation staff have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. Threatening or any act of aggressive and/or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated. The Valuers are required to provide you with a reasonable opportunity to discuss your objection. If threatening, aggressive or abusive behaviour is demonstrated, your objection may be determined without further discussion. If you are dissatisfied with this outcome, you have the option to make an application to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for a review of this decision.

If you have any questions about the value of your property as shown on your rate notice, please contact us first to get a clearer understanding of your valuation.

If you would like to submit a formal objection, you will need to lodge your objection via the online portal. 

Please note:

  • You must lodge an objection via the rating valuation objections portal within two months of the issue date of your annual rate notice.
  • Even if you object to a valuation, you must still pay your rates by the due date.
  • You should provide as much supporting evidence as possible with your objection.

Lodge an objection

After you lodge an objection

A valuer from the Valuer-General's Office will contact you to discuss your concerns and organise a time to inspect your property. Factors including sales of surrounding properties, property data and property condition will be considered by the valuer.

You will be advised of the outcome in writing within two months. Council will advise you in writing of any adjustment.

If you are still unhappy with the valuation

A ratepayer who is not satisfied with the decision of the valuer or the Valuer-General may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for review of the result.

Both the Valuer-General and the ratepayer present their case at VCAT and the tribunal will make a final decision based on the evidence presented.

More information

For more information about objecting to a valuation, contact:

Rates and Valuations
Phone: 9433 3285

Supplementary valuations

In certain circumstances, valuations are conducted between annual valuations.

These are known as supplementary valuations.

A supplementary valuation is required when a property is:

  • physically changed, for example, when buildings are altered, erected or demolished
  • amalgamated
  • subdivided
  • rezoned, or
  • portions are sold off.

If a supplementary valuation is done on your property and the property value changes, Council will send you a notice about amended rates and valuations.