Planning permits and building permits

Photo of a person looking at architectural plans

Planning permits and building permits are not the same thing. They are controlled by different legislation and regulations.

You may need to get both a planning permit and a building permit. If your project does require a planning permit, you must have the planning permit before a building permit can be issued.

Planning permits

A planning permit is a legal document giving permission for a land use or development. 

This development or use could be anything from demolishing or extending your house or removing a tree in your garden to running a business from home or getting a liquor license for a bar.

Planning is essentially about making decisions that affect the environment and everyday life. Planning decisions take into account the impact a new building or land use will have on the neighbourhood and neighbours. These decisions might be about the location of a new restaurant, the removal of trees or building a new house in an area at risk of bushfire.

Nillumbik Shire Council's Planning Services team implements and enforces the statutory planning responsibilities of the Nillumbik Planning Scheme.

Council makes planning decisions in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987 and the Nillumbik Planning Scheme when we make planning decisions. 

See an overview of the planning permit process

Building permits

Building permits are controlled by the Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2018. A building permit ensures the building is structurally safe, stable and complies with regulations.

All building work requires a building permit, unless there is an exemption for the proposed work under the Regulations. This includes some minor alterations, demolitions and repair or maintenance work.

A building permit will specify that either an occupancy permit is required or a certificate of final inspection is required when the building work is completed.

You can find out more about building work at the Victorian Building Authority website, or by contacting Nillumbik Building Surveyors.

See an overview of the building permit process