Gardens for Wildlife
The Nillumbik Gardens for Wildlife (G4W) is a partnership between Nillumbik Shire Council and community members to engage the public in creating habitat gardens for local wildlife.
The program offers a garden visit to local residents from two of our trained volunteer garden guides. They will provide encouragement and guidance on how to provide habitat for wildlife through gardening on private property.
How does it work?
- The program is designed by the local community in partnership with Council to meet local needs.
- Joining the program is free and is based on a garden visit by trained guides.
- The garden visit is non-judgemental but provides insights/support to assist the resident to increase habitat and food sources for wildlife.
- Participants are provided with information on wildlife gardening, and access to the larger network overseen by Gardens for Wildlife Victoria.
- The program will begin roll out in 2020 with 40 garden visits planned for the year.
- Interested residents will be able to register their gardens for a visit by two trained garden guides.
Registrations are scheduled to open in April 2020.