Check for a Heritage Overlay on your property

If you are considering the purchase, renovation, demolition or development of a property, you will first need to check if a Heritage Overlay or any other controls apply to the property.

Follow the process below to determine if a Heritage Overlay applies to your property.

If you are unsure, or if you are new to the planning process, we strongly recommend contacting our Planning Services team.


Step 1.Confirm if a Heritage Overlay applies to your property

  • Go to VicPlan and search for the address of the property you would like to develop
  • Create a Planning Property Report
  • Open the report and go to the Planning Overlay section
  • See whether the report lists a Heritage Overlay

If a Heritage Overlay is listed:

  • Look at the map to see whether the areas you will be developing are inside the Heritage Overlay boundaries
  • On the report, click the schedule number (for example H04). This will open a page where you can view any special controls for that number, such as whether there are restrictions around painting the building, or whether the property is on the Victoria State Heritage list.

Step 2.Read the relevant Statement of Significance

If a Heritage Overlay applies to your property, there will be a Statement of Significance linked to it.

For a copy of your Statement of Significance, please email or call:

Strategic Planning
Phone: 03 9433 3111

  • Review the Statement of Significance relating to the relevant Heritage Overlay number covering your property.
  • Your planning permit application will need to address the Statement of Significance and any heritage elements that may be affected by your proposal.

Step 3.Apply for a planning permit

More information on applying for a planning permit can be found at the link below.

Planning permits and other approvals

If a Heritage Overlay applies to your property, there is a good chance you will require a planning permit if you are looking to develop or undertake works on your property. Additional permits may also be required under other controls.

Even if a Heritage Overlay does not apply to your property, you may still require a planning permit or other permits depending on the nature of the works. 

It's always best to check before undertaking building or works:

If you are not sure if you need a permit, please call Nillumbik Planning Services on 03 9433 3111.