Request an amendment to a VicSmart permit

If you would like to make changes to a planning permit that was issued under the VicSmart provisions, you can request an amendment.

Is my planning permit a VicSmart permit?

The easiest way to check is to look at the planning permit number - VicSmart permit numbers will include 'VS'.

If your planning permit is not a VicSmart permit, see Amend or extend an approved planning permit to determine which amendment is right for you.

How to apply

Apply online

Step 1.Talk to Council first

Before submitting your application for an amendment, discuss your request with a member of the Planning Services team.

If your planning permit was determined at VCAT, you must contact us first.

Step 2.Prepare your documentation

You will need to include with your request:

  • the planning permit number
  • a current copy of the Title (not more than 30 days old)
  • a detailed description of the changes and the reason you are requesting them
  • estimated cost of the building and works being proposed
  • a full set of the revised plans or endorsed documents - this includes tree management plans, or landscape plans
    • plans must show all proposed changes clearly marked
    • plans must show all parts of the approved design that haven't changed
  • any supporting material that may help us assess your application - eg photos, site or house plans

Step 3.Submit the online form

Request an amendment to a VicSmart permit >


The fees associated with your application will depend on the cost of the development.

Download Council’s schedule of statutory planning fees

What happens next?

After your request for a VicSmart amendment has been submitted and the fee paid, a member of the Planning Services team will assess the request.

We may contact you if there is information missing from your application.

After our assessment, we will provide a written response explaining the outcome of your application. If your application is approved, we will also send you the endorsed plans.

You can only proceed with your proposed changes once we have assessed and approved your application.