Apply for public liability insurance for community groups

If you are hiring a Council reserve or facility and you do not carry your own public liability insurance, you may be eligible to apply for community liability insurance through Council.

Who can apply

  • Stallholders and artists, buskers, tutors and instructors taking part in events or festivals and who do not already have public liability insurance.
  • Not for profit organisations who charge a fee for fundraising purposes.
  • Businesses or commercial entities who are not making profit or not organising the event for monetary gain.

Who can’t apply

  • Event or festival organisers.
  • Businesses or commercial entities who charge admission and make profit.


  • The insurance only covers the hirer of the facility, not other participants/performers such as a band engaged for a wedding reception.
  • Rock concerts will not be covered.
  • Events with attendance of more than 1,000 people are not covered.
  • The insurance covers venue hire up to a maximum period of five consecutive days.

How to apply

Apply and pay online

Step 1.Check the criteria

If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible, you can speak to our Risk and Safety team. Email or call 9433 3111. 

Step 2.Apply

Complete the online application form and pay online.

Apply for public liability insurance


The cost for the insurance is:

  • $22 - one off event
  • $50 - multiple events through the school term
  • $110 - annual agreement