Make a complaint about building work

If you're experiencing problems with defective building work, Council may be able to investigate. 

Reporting urgent issues

If you need to report a building-related matter that requires an immediate response (eg buildings at risk of imminent collapse or immediate danger to life and safety), please call us:

  • during business hours - Customer Service on 03 9433 3111
  • outside business hours - Emergency After Hours Service on 03 9433 3334

To report unsafe or dangerous work practices, please contact Worksafe Victoria on 03 9641 1444 or 1800 136 089.

Who should investigate?

If you have engaged a private building surveyor to issue the building permit for your building project, then the relevant building surveyor is responsible for ensuring the building work is compliant. If you have concerns about the building work, you should first speak to the relevant building surveyor. The relevant building surveyor can issue the builder with a Direction to Fix if building work is non-compliant.

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) have more information on their website about the complaints process. See Problems and complaints (VBA).

What we can investigate

The Nillumbik Building Services team can investigate:

  • buildings which do not comply with, or are constructed without, the required permits
  • illegal use of a building, for example a property used as a rooming house
  • dangerous buildings or structures including those that are fire damaged or structurally unsound
  • non-compliant swimming pool barriers
  • failure to maintain essential safety measures within a building such as exit doors, fire safety equipment, smoke alarms, exit and fire doors, and
  • demolition of a building without the required permit in place.

How to make a report


Step 1.Have the details ready

To complete the online form, you will need to provide:

  • the address where the building works are taking/took place
  • a detailed description of the issue
  • photos of the works in question (optional)

Step 2.Submit the online form

Make a complaint about building work >

What happens next?

If a breach or contravention is found then Council, through the Municipal Building Surveyor, will initiate appropriate action to ensure reasonable level of safety and compliance.

Council is committed to ensuring compliance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act. Therefore certain aspects of the investigation cannot be disclosed without written consent from the owner of the subject property under investigation.