Asset protection

Photo of a large excavator on a road next to a foothpath. The curb of the footpath is damaged.

Asset protection permits help Council to maintain public safety.

By monitoring potential damage to Council-owned property and community infrastructure, we can ensure our community infrastructure assets are protected, and fix any damaged assets.

An asset protection permit protects public assets such as:

  • drains and storm water pits
  • nature strips, street vegetation and trees
  • road pavement, kerbs and channels
  • footpaths
  • poles and signs
  • vehicle crossings (driveways)
  • any other Council or Government department infrastructure

When a permit is not required

If the intended works are considered minor, and do not involve any of the activities listed under "When a permit is required" (below), asset protection may be waived.

This includes:

  • works on unsealed roads
  • VicRoads roads (except where there is a footpath, then asset protection needs to be taken out) 

When a permit is required

If you are doing any work that requires a building permit, including demolition, you must obtain an asset protection permit before you start work.

Particularly if any of the following activities are involved in the works, asset protection must be applied for:

  • delivery of materials using heavy machinery over four tonnes
  • use of a concrete truck/pump
  • use of a crane
  • excavation
  • access via a Council reserve

Apply for an asset protection permit

Section 80 notification

Asset protection documents are automatically generated on receipt of a Section 80 notification from the building surveyor, and sent to the property owner.