The Food Act 1984 requires all businesses that handle, prepare, package, store, serve, supply and repackage food to be registered with their local council.
If you are a new food business or an existing food business wanting to make changes, you must first complete the Business Permit Checklist to determine if any other permits are required.
When starting any new food business, it is important to contact Council's Economic Development team to organise a new business meeting, which will include an officer from our Environmental Health, Planning, Building and Economic Development teams.
A new business meeting provides an opportunity to ask questions specific to your business, and will ensure you have a clear understanding of both the structural and food processing requirements to meet compliance. It is recommended that new business operators attend this meeting prior to signing a lease or purchasing/fitting out a property, to avoid making costly mistakes.
We recommend you speak to a member of the Economic Development team at Council before submitting your application. Call 9433 3111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your application - Class 1, 2 or 3
When you are ready, complete the Application to register a food premises form. Please note this form will soon be replaced by a single online application form - we appreciate your patience.
Submitting your application includes:
- Payment of the relevant registration fee. Please see the schedule of fees and charges here.
- Submit a floorplan of the business, displaying all equipment and sink locations
- Submit a proposed menu
- Provide a copy of the current Food Safety Program for your business (Class 1 and 2 premises only)
- Provide a copy of the nominated Food Safety Supervisor's certificate (Class 1 and 2 premises only)
After your application is received, an Environmental Health Officer will review the submitted documents. The Officer will then contact you to arrange an appointment to meet onsite and conduct a Risk Assessment. A report will then be issued listing any non-conformances. Following the final inspection, a Certificate of Registration will be issued.
Submit your notification - Class 4
If you are operating a Class 4 food business or premises, please notify Council by completing this form Class-4-notification-form.pdf(PDF, 264KB)
This form may be returned:
- in person at Nillumbik Shire Council offices (Civic Drive Greensborough)
- by mail to PO Box 476 Greensborough VIC 3088
- by email to email@example.com
- by fax to 03 9433 3777