Accommodation businesses


In Nillumbik, all prescribed accommodation businesses must be registered with Nillumbik Shire Council and follow regulations to help minimise health risks.

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 you must register the place of business (premises) where you provide accommodation.

Prescribed accommodation includes:

  • Residential accommodation
  • Hotels and motels
  • Hostels or student dormitories
  • Farm stays or holiday camps
  • Rooming houses
  • Bed and breakfasts accommodating more than five people
  • Rooming/shared houses accommodating four or more people
  • Guesthouses and boutique hotels


Before you apply to register

Are you starting a new accommodation business or changing an existing accommodation business?

To avoid costly mistakes:


Registering your accommodation business 

You must register your place of business (premises) with the local council in which it is located.

Exemptions from registering

You do not require registration if your business operates any of the following:

  • A house under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • A self-contained flat under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • Public hospitals, nursing home or health services establishments (registered)
  • Retirement villages
  • Any house, building or structure to which part four (caravan parks and movable dwellings) of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 applies
  • Premises in which, other than the family of the proprietor, not more than five persons are accommodated and which is not a rooming house
  • Temporary crisis accommodation

Registering a new accommodation business

When you are ready, complete your registration using the link below:

Register an accommodation business

Buying and transferring an existing accommodation business

If you are purchasing an accommodation business that has an existing business registration, an application must be made to Council to transfer the registration to the new owner of the business.

Find out more at the link below:

Transfer an accommodation business

Renewing your accommodation business registration

Operators of prescribed accommodation businesses must renew their business registration each year. 

Find out more at the link below:

Renew accommodation business registration


Complaints about accommodation businesses

If you want to make a complaint about an accommodation business in Nillumbik, please contact:

Environmental Health team
Phone: 9433 3340