Request neighbouring property ownership details for fencing

If you want to build or repair a dividing fence, you will need to talk to the person who owns the neighbouring property.

If you need to locate the owner, you can make a request to Council for the property ownership details.

Properties with an owners corporation

If the neighbouring property is affected by an owners corporation (for example, a property with flats, apartments or units), you will need to contact the owners corporation directly. The owners corporation contact details will be displayed on a letterbox or sign on the property.

How to apply

Apply online

Step 1.Make sure you are eligible

To make a request, you must be the owner of the neighbouring property.

The request must be for the purpose of building a fence on the boundary of your property, in accordance with the Fencing Act 1968 (Vic).

Step 2.Email us

Submit your request in writing, making sure to include your:

  • full name
  • residential address
  • contact details
  • address of the property/properties you are requesting ownership details for
  • reason for your request


What happens next?

Your submission has been forwarded to the Rates and Valuations team who will process your request and respond via return email within three business days.