Report a dead or injured animal

Council can pick up and dispose of dead animals including native wildlife and domestic pets on Council roads and land such as parks and reserves, nature strips and footpaths.

If you see a dead animal in a dangerous location, call Victoria Police on triple zero (000).

If the animal is on a major road or highway, you will need to report it to VicRoads. To find out whether a road is managed by Council or VicRoads, read our information on who is responsible. Call VicRoads on 13 11 71.

Injured wildlife

If you see injured native wildlife, Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action has a list of rescue and rehabilitation agencies.

You can also call Council on 9433 3111 during business hours.

For after-hours support for injured animals on private property contact Help for Wildlife or call Wildlife Victoria’s 24 hour emergency response line on 03 8400 7300.

How to report a dead animal


Step 1.Have the details ready

To lodge the request online, you will need to provide:

  • The address or name of the street/road where the animal is
  • Your details (if you would like to be contacted or check on the progress of the request).

Step 2.Complete the online form

Report a dead animal


Call us

Call 03 9433 3111 between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). 

You can also call Council’s Emergency After Hours Service on 03 9433 3334 if the animal may cause danger to drivers.

Dead animals on private land

Council isn’t able to remove dead animals from private property. Search online for animal disposal services, or call 9433 3111 or email for alternatives.