Assessing planning permit applications

Preliminary assessment by Council

Each planning permit application submitted to Nillumbik Shire Council goes through a number of assessment and decision-making stages.

To ensure a holistic Council approach to planning approvals, planning permit applications are referred to a number of teams within Council. The teams include, but are not limited to:

  • Health Services
  • Building Services
  • Environment Services
  • Engineering and Traffic Services
  • Strategic Planning and Urban Design


Referral to other authorities or organisations

Council may also be required to refer a planning permit application to other statutory bodies for advice and comments. Statutory bodies can include but are not limited to:

  • Melbourne Water
  • Department of Transport (DoT)
  • Country Fire Authority (CFA)
  • Yarra Valley Water
  • Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV)
  • Environment Protection Authority (EPA)
  • Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)

If your planning permit application is required to be referred to a statutory body, Council will forward it to them on your behalf.

Statutory authorities have 28 days to respond and may request conditions to be placed on any permit or can also object to the application.

To minimise delays, it can be helpful to get advice from referral authorities before you submit your application.

The Victorian Government's Planning website has more information about the referrals process.


Requests for further information

If there is anything missing from your application, or we need to clarify some details, we will contact you to request further information.

You must respond to a request for further information using our online portal.

Missing the due date

If you do not provide us with all the requested information before the due date, your application will lapse and cannot be assessed further.

You will need to lodge a new planning permit application, including all relevant fees and information.

Extending the due date

If you are unable to respond to the request for further information by the due date, you must request an extension of time by contacting the Council Planner who is assessing your application.


Making changes to your application

If you want to change the details of your application, and it has not yet been approved, you can request an amendment to a planning permit application.

Please contact the Planner who is assessing your application before requesting an amendment.


What happens next?

Your application may be publicly advertised. See Advertising planning permit applications for more information.

Your application will then undergo a final assessment and a decision will be made. See Outcomes of a planning permit application for more information.