Prepare your planning permit application


Before you submit your planning permit to Nillumbik Shire Council, make sure you have done your research and are well prepared.

There are a number of things to consider and you will need to get your documentation ready.

In many cases, a pre-application meeting can help to answer any questions you might have.


Review our planning advice

Some permit applications have specific requirements that you will need to consider when preparing your application. To help you understand these requirements, review our planning advice and checklists.

Planning advice

Council has prepared planning advice on specific topics that you may need to consider in your proposal such as overlays, tree removals, bushfire management and signage. 

View planning advice topics


Prepare your documentation

You will need to provide different information for different types of permit applications.

All applications should include:

  • A full copy of Certificate of Title, searched from the land titles office within the past 3 months, along with copies of any restrictions, covenants or agreements
  • Site layout, floor and elevation plans (see below)
  • A written submission explaining how your proposal responds to the requirements of the relevant zone, overlays and planning policies
  • Other relevant documents required for your particular type of application (see below)

Planning permit checklists - standard applications

To find out what information is required for each type of planning application, Council has developed a series of helpful checklists. 

View the checklists

Planning permit checklists - VicSmart applications

There is detailed information on the VicSmart website about what should be included with each type of VicSmart planning application.

View the VicSmart checklists

Plans and drawings

Plans submitted as part of a planning permit application will commonly include:

  • floor plans
  • elevations
  • site layout/analysis
  • landscaping (if applicable)
  • shadow diagrams

All plans must be drawn to scale (e.g. 1:100) and include the following information as a minimum:

  • north point
  • boundaries and dimensions of site
  • plan name and revision reference
  • location and dimensions of all existing and proposed buildings
  • proposed/existing materials, colours and finishes

Note: any material submitted with your planning application, including plans and personal information, can be made available for public viewing, including electronically.


Get advice from referral authorities

Sometimes Council will need to refer your planning permit application to other authorities or organisations for advice and comment. For example, if you’re proposing to change the access to a road that is managed by VicRoads, your application will be referred to the Department of Transport.

To avoid delays in the application process, it is a good idea to discuss your proposal with any relevant referral authorities before submitting your application. 

The referral authorities listed in the Nillumbik Planning Scheme include:

 Referral authority More information 
Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) Fire Rescue Victoria
Country Fire Authority (CFA) Read about planning controls and the CFA
Melbourne Water Apply for pre-development advice from Melbourne Water
Yarra Valley Water Get advice about building and renovating from Yarra Valley Water
AusNet Services Read a guide to living with transmission line easements (AusNet Services) 
Department of Transport (DoT) Understand the statutory planning process at the Department of Transport
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Environment Protection Authority (EPA)  Statutory planning and the EPA

The Victorian Government's Planning website has more information about the referrals process.


Talk to your neighbours

It is a good idea to talk to your neighbours before finalising your plans. If they are unhappy with an aspect of your proposal, you may be able to reach a compromise before lodging your planning application.

Being upfront from the start may resolve issues early, which may avoid submissions or objections being lodged during the application, or conflict later on.


Consider getting professional advice

While we are not able to recommend specific providers, we do suggest that you consider consulting an independent planning professional who can provide advice or prepare and lodge the application on your behalf.

Getting the right professional advice at the beginning will help you meet both Council's requirements and your objectives.


Check if you need to pay the Metropolitan Planning Levy

If you want to apply for a planning permit to develop land in Nillumbik you may need to pay the Metropolitan Planning Levy.

You have to pay the levy if the cost of your development is over the threshold set by the Victorian Government. 

If the levy applies, you will need to:

  • pay the levy before you submit your planning permit application
  • provide a current Metropolitan Planning Levy certificate with your application. 

Council may require a cost breakdown if it appears the cost on your application has been underestimated.

Visit the State Revenue Office website to determine if the levy applies to your proposal, and other information about the Metropolitan Planning Levy.


What happens next?

Make sure you have:

  • reviewed all the available advice
  • prepared all required documentation
  • spoken to Council about your plans

The next step is to proceed to submit your planning permit application.