Request an extension of time for a planning permit

After a planning permit is approved, it has a limited lifespan. Unless the permit specifies otherwise, the owner or occupier of the land must:

  • start the development or land use within two years of the approval date, and
  • complete the work within four years.

To allow more time for a development or for the commencement of a land use, you may ask Council for an extension of time.

You can request to extend:

  • the time in which the development must commence
  • the time in which the land use must commence (for example, the date the building must begin operating as a medical centre or shop)
  • the time within which the development must be completed. 

When can I request an extension?

If you are requesting to extend an existing planning permit, you must make this request:

  • before or within 6 months after the permit expiry commencement date, if the use or development allowed by the permit has not yet started
  • within 12 months after the permit expiry completion date, if the development allowed by the permit has lawfully started before the permit expires.

We cannot extend a permit if the request is made outside the above timeframes, and VCAT are also unable to approve requests outside the relevant timeframe.

If you do not make an extension request within the specified timeframes, you will need to lodge a new application and pay all associated fees.

How to apply

Apply online

Step 1.Talk to Council first

Before submitting your application, discuss your request with a member of the Planning Services team.

Step 2.Register for online services

If you haven't already done so, you will need to register for access to Council's online portal.  This is to create your username and password.

Please note:

  • Most registrations are approved within one business day.
  • You will only need to register once.

Register for online services

Step 3.Prepare your documentation

You will need to include with your request:

  • A current copy of your Certificate of Title from Landata (searched within the last three months and including a copy of any registered covenants and/or Section 173 agreements)
  • The written consent of the landowner if you are not the owner or occupier of the land
  • The permit number
  • Proposed timeframes for commencement and completion
  • A description of the reasons you are requesting the extension
  • Proof that the development has commenced before the expiry date

Step 4.Submit your request

If you are ready to submit your request for an extension of time, submit your application using our online portal.

Request an extension of time


The fees associated with your application will depend on whether it is your first request for an extension of time.

View Council’s schedule of statutory planning fees.

What happens next?

After your request to extend has been submitted and the fee paid, a member of the Planning Services team will assess the request and provide a written response.

If we refuse your request and it was made within the relevant timeframe, you may choose to apply to review the decision with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).